Wednesday, July 18, 2012

TWI #89

Driving through

© Pamyla Floyd

July 17, 2012

Some time back in the 1980s, I drove to California with my 2nd cousin Lillian. while I was driving, it started storming. The rains were torrential and it was hard to see even a few feet ahead. I began to panic, and did what everyone else around us did. I pulled under the underpass to wait it out. "What are you doing?" she asked. "What do you mean, what am I doing"(I was a bit annoyed that asked me this). It was obvious, in my mind, that I needed to stop.

She went on to explain that even though the rains were heavy, and it was difficult to see, we needed to keep driving forward. "This won't last long, because we will drive through the middle and be out of it in a few minutes. So, with my heart in my throat, I did as she said. Lillian was true road warrior, and she was definitely right about the storm.

I never forgot that lesson, and have carried it with me throughout my life. After I became a Christian, that same lesson presented itself in different ways in my life, spiritually speaking. I never forgot what she taught me that day. When we face storms, it is natural to want to stop moving forward and just wait until the storm blows over. Instead we should continue moving forward, even if at a slower pace. As my pastor puts it, "Forward is the march!" Stopping makes us lose ground, and valuable time. Whether the storm lasts a few hours, weeks or longer, time still moves on. The bills still come, and we are still getting older day by day.

We may feel that since we are single, we should have a 'special grace' that keeps us from having to deal with certain things. Its easy to say, "If I were married" or "I shouldn't have to deal with this alone" etc. But the storms we face in life are not to crush or destroy us. They come to build us up in our faith, and to build our character.

The enemy uses storms to stop us in our tracks and stunt our growth. he surely wants to make us think that we are alone. I Samuel 12:22 says For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people. Put the pity parties in the trash where they belong. Your future spouse needs a mate that does not make excuses nor run and hide with their tail between their legs.

He didn't just save us, and leave us,but He is there no matter what. He promised to never leave nor forsake us. In Psalms 139:8, David exclaims, If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there! Wow how awesome is our God! yes, we can continue to move forward through anything with confidence, because He has us. Good spouses balance each other so that both are strengthened and become one strong unit. But remember, it takes 2 whole people to unite and build a strong and lasting relationship that can weather the storms of life together. Your singleness may seem like one long storm, but believe me it isn't.

Change your outlook. You are being equipped, challenged and molded into the man/woman that God has called you to be. You can make it make it with the Lord's help. Just keep driving through.

God bless,

Pamyla

No comments:

Post a Comment