Monday, July 26, 2010

The Word Illustrated #53--Forgive



The Word Illustrated #53
© Pamyla Floyd
7/19/2010

Forgive

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer, and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him – I John 3:15

Forgive -- to cease to feel resentment against (an offender) : PARDON intransitive verb : to grant forgiveness

If we cannot forgive those who have done even the most horrific things against us, how can we expect God to forgive us? It is not in our nature to automatically pray for, or bless those who have abused, cursed and used us; the word of God tells us that this we must do so, or we cannot enter heaven. Jesus, on the cross, asked the Father to forgive them (us). HE was held hostage, spat on, cursed, mutilated, beaten beyond recognition, and he forgave.

Unforgiveness cripples us spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. When we refuse to forgive, we are handing satan a license to afflict us with all manner of sickness and disease. If this issue is not dealt with, we find ourselves butchering relationships with people who were not present when our assaults took place. The roots of unforgiveness run deep, and its tentacles spread wide, affecting every area of our lives. Did you know that we are not to take communion if we have aught against a brother?

Forgiveness is not easy, but it can be done in faith. I learned this from my pastors. I have been freed (Hallijuleah) and I’mnow able to experience spiritual freedoms not afforded me while I held grudges against others. It is important to be led of the Holy Spirit, to know when to extend forgiveness to those who have spoiled us, or when to ask forgiveness of those whom we have wronged. We may not be received, but walking in God’s will is much more valuable, and rewarding, than approval from any man.

It is not easy, but all things really are possible with Christ. There were things that I unconsciously held on to. There were also things that I purposed in my heart to not let go of. Unforgiveness is a vicious cycle that the enemy uses to steal our health, kill our dreams, and wipe us out; Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil in our lives. We cannot enter heaven if we are harboring unforgiveness, it is NOT an attribute of God.

I cannot stress enough how walking in love and forgiveness will bless you. It is imperative that we let go of whatever we are holding over others. There may be times still when we are offended, hurt, or lied to, but we can be Christ-like in our attitude and actions towards others always. We don't have to keep score or give space in our minds as to how we will "get back" at others. The Lord says that vengeance is His.

This has been one of the most difficult assignments that the Lord has given me. It has also been one of the most important that I will ever share. I pray that I am faithful to the charge that God has given me, which is to encourage the saints, and help them to live more abundant lives in Christ.

Please, go before the Lord today and ask Him to show you where hidden unforgiveness or grudges are hidden in your heart. He is faithful to see you through every step of the way. I love you and I'm praying for you. We have to get this right.

God bless,
Pamyla

If you want to know how to ask Jesus into your heart, or want help in leading someone to Christ, please visit my Salvation page. If you want prayer or need help finding scriptures to stand on, please email me: thewordillustrated at yahoo dot com

Reference Scriptures:
Mark 11:25 -- And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Note: The illustration above is of a woman’s face showing only one side. She has a suspicious look as she gazes at someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment